You are not your addiction

 

YOU ARE NOT YOUR ADDICTION

Today, we identify ourselves in what we do rather than who we are! Our identity is not anchored upon our predicament or circumstances but who we are in Christ and how God sees us in Christ. Friend, if you have accepted Christ as your Lord and Savior and you are still struggling with addictions, this post is for you. Let me tell you something, Jesus is the end of your struggles! The fact that you acknowledge that there is a battle, there is a struggle is the first step toward experiencing freedom. Your freedom is not found in charitable deeds that would soothe your conscience, your freedom is not found in formulas or a step-by-step guided practices or dietary practices but freedom is found in Christ alone and Him alone. In Romans 7, we see Apostle Paul's struggle...

"18 And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[d] I want to do what is right, but I can’t. 19 I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. 20 But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.

25 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? " - Romans 7:18-20,24

The key to lasting freedom is to first acknowledge that there is an issue, that we are weak in and of ourselves and knowing that confidence in flesh(self-effort) will only lead to sin once again. Then, we depend on Christ and His power and not in our self-effort, to transform us inside out. Dependence in Christ is key to transformation. As we depend in Christ, we are to have the revelation of God that we have no condemnation since we belong to Christ and we are righteous in Christ by His perfect blood. Now, notice how Apostle Paul cries out "WHO will free me from...?" and not "WHAT will free me from...?" The answer is not a thing, formula, seminars on step-by-step methods, carefully selected music or soothing voiceovers but in the Person who is....

"Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord...." - Romans 7:25

Amen? In Christ, is our freedom and victory over every kind of addiction! We think we find pleasure in our addictions. These are temporal pleasures but look to the One who is your eternal pleasure and that is Jesus! In Psalms 16 it says,"At His right hand are pleasures forevermore"  Christ is your ultimate pleasure! When you look to His pleasures which are forevermore, all these temporal pleasures will fall off. Withered leaves are only gone when new leaves are born. So, look to Him! Look to Jesus! He is the end of your struggles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practical keys to overcoming anxiety

Radical Grace

Inception of Grace